Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Write of Passage, Challenge 7 (late)

Well, my LDs, I've neglected last week's {W}rite of Passage.
"Good dialogue is such a pleasure to come across while reading, a complete change of pace from description and exposition and all that writing." - page 64 Bird by Bird

Today post a dialog between characters, real or otherwise.

Unintentional, but I couldn't think of anything....and then I thought of Andrew and Ashley (yes, Bena, I will update...soon). There is a small conversation between Ashley and Cole (her daddy).

~
Several minutes later, I heard my father calling my name. "Ashley? Are you alright?" I turned my face toward him.

"Yes, Daddy?" I smiled.

"I've been standing here for a bit, saying your name. You haven't said a word. Just standing there with that bolt of cloth. Do we need to purchase it?" I looked down to see tarlatane cloth the same shade as Andrew's eyes.

"Yes, Daddy. This was exactly what I was looking for," I said, still in a dreamy daze.

"Darlin, are you ok? Are you ill?" he asked, obviously concerned.

"No, Daddy," I shook my head. "Just daydreamin'."

"Well, we'd better get moving. I've made reservations at the hotel restaurant down the street. We'll be meeting a colleague and his family there." I must have looked at Daddy strangely, because he asked again if I was ok.

"I'm fine. Whom are we meeting for dinner?"

"Paul Hale and his wife, Caroline, and their children."

"Andrew and Catherine?" I asked.

"How did you know?"

"They were in here, and Andrew accidentally knocked me down, trying to corral Catherine," I replied.

"She is full of energy," Daddy agreed. "Is that what's got you so dreamy? Are you hurt?"

"No, I promise I'm fine."

"Ashley?" Daddy asked warningly.

"He was a perfect gentleman. He told me he goes to the university for law and business."

"That he does. He's got a fine head for it as well."

"What do you think of him?"

"Well, he's a good-hearted young man. Knows what he wants and goes after it, kind of like his father. I will admit that I suggested to him that we get together for lunch so that you might meet Catherine...and Andrew." I was trying to figure out why he had not introduced me to the Hales before now. Frowning on the inside, I raised an eyebrow. "Besides, you don't need to be attached to your daddy's side all day long," he smiled. I could see in his eyes the excitement he was trying to hide.

"Daddy, I love being with you on our outings! Do you really think that I would come along if I didn't enjoy your company?" He brushed my cheek with a smooth hand.

"That's my darlin' daughter. Are you ready for dinner? I'm famished!" he said, holding out his arm for me to take. I laced my arm through his and we walked down to the first floor to make my purchase.

~
I'm leaving it here for now. Don't want to give too much away, do I? Anyway, I'm going to try to get back into the {W}rite of Passage workshops and I'll keep you updated.

Heepwah, and be safe out there.

Your favorite bookie,
Mrs. Dreamer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be safe out there.